Evaluation of Retail Man - Questions

Discussions, hints and tips for users of Retail-Man Point of Sale, from Ezi Solution.

Moderators: sami, graham

Evaluation of Retail Man - Questions

Postby Jaeger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Guys,
For many years I have looked at various applications and even went as far as trying to have developers build my own. Unfortunately cost and the lack of developers that are ‘commercially aware’ didn’t allow for that to be completed.

Having looked at the general structure of Retail Man I'm very impressed and believe it could be, with some additional functionality a very powerful application, but is already very impressive.
On first impressions the Application appears to be very usable.
Over the years we have acquired a database of over 11,000 Client records and I am importing these to retail Man to use as test data.

However having successfully imported the records I am concerned that numerous fields are not available to import. I have the following observations which I hope you can address.

1. Importing/Exporting - Many of the Client maintenance fields are not available at import/export that are important for client maintenance. In particular I am upgrading from an access database and hold some data that I think could be available to Retail Man if I could access the DB. The feature works very well however really can't understand why an important field "Title" is not an import or export option.

2. To assist in understanding the data base structure in Retail Man, is there a list of fields and uses by data base?

3. On the Client maintenance screen, I am finding this quite frustrating.
As Title isn't an import option (I also had First, Middle and Last Name as separate fields) I concatenated Title, First Name, Middle Name and Last Name into one field to import into RM. I can now search but as Title is in the Name I can brows all the Miss, Mrs, Mr, Dr, etc but this is very annoying as you can imagine there are many Mr & Mrs.

Hope fully we can address these issues and move onto perhaps some additional functionality that many would find useful.

Regards

Allan
Jaeger
Standard

Postby sami » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:12 am

Hi Allan, Glad to see you like our software. Regarding the importing/Exporting data, we are flexible in that regard and will add any field the users think they need. We will add the Title Field in the next version up, but if you are in a hurry, let me know and I can email you the modified file to do that for you.
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 am

Hello Sami,
Thanks for the positive response. Very pleasant to find another example of flexible support.
There are in fact 2 of us trying Retail Man having vast experience of retail sales, marketing and a reasonable understanding of data manipulation. 1 with a customer database in Access and stock, purchase and accounts in Sage the other with customers in Alpha Five and stock, purchase and accounts in Page and Sage.

I understand RM is a FoxPro application. Have used the append feature to add details from Sage Product groups through to RM. There is also the flexability of using Alpha 5 also.

Can you supply Data Structure of the databases and their use?
Would help a lot in understanding what and if we should import certain data.
Can you see any problems if we are to use append to bring the data in?

I am particularly interested in the use of direct mail/email marketing and have a number of (I believe) exciting ideas that I would like to explore with you. Please feel free to contact me via email and we can exchange thoughts.
Jaeger
Standard

Postby sami » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi Allan,
You seem just the right person we want on board.
Retail Man is written in VFP 6.0 due to speed, flexibilty and robustness of the VFP enviornomrnt. So you can import/export from RM files since they are standard DBF format, however, if you do import data using an external program, you MUST do a files reindex, and you must make sure the external program does not change the file headers of our DBF files, you must also be aware that we use a field called INTERNAL that is used as a key to help manage data within the program. So generally, we do not recommend importing new data from scratch using external programs unless if you are familiar with what is going on. But if it is very important for you to import data, then I can supply you the information you need to know. By the way, to modify the import fields you just have to play with some external data files.

Regarding the emailing feature, we are always intersted to hear from customers on how to improve, so please email me on sami@ezisolution.com, I have tried to email you but you did not enable emailing from you account.
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm

sami wrote:Hi Allan,
You seem just the right person we want on board.
Retail Man is written in VFP 6.0 due to speed, flexibilty and robustness of the VFP enviornomrnt. So you can import/export from RM files since they are standard DBF format, however, if you do import data using an external program, you MUST do a files reindex, and you must make sure the external program does not change the file headers of our DBF files, you must also be aware that we use a field called INTERNAL that is used as a key to help manage data within the program. So generally, we do not recommend importing new data from scratch using external programs unless if you are familiar with what is going on. But if it is very important for you to import data, then I can supply you the information you need to know. By the way, to modify the import fields you just have to play with some external data files.

Regarding the emailing feature, we are always intersted to hear from customers on how to improve, so please email me on sami@ezisolution.com, I have tried to email you but you did not enable emailing from you account.

Good news Sami.
Email now switched on but I have also emailed you directly.

Fully appreciate the need for care and have seen the "Internal" field which will be left well alone. Have no intentions to change data names; just don't understand what some of them are.

Look forward to hearing from you and we will certainly be happy to bring our observations to the forum if they are of interest to others.
Jaeger
Standard

Return to Retail-Man