Using Dot Matrix Printer for printing Dockets

Discussions, hints and tips for users of Retail-Man Point of Sale, from Ezi Solution.

Moderators: sami, graham

Using Dot Matrix Printer for printing Dockets

Postby poshlittle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:36 pm

I am evaluating Retail-Man for my existing shop. I am wondering if I can use a paper roll in a dot matrix printer (I have a dot matrix printer) to print the (invoice) docket instead of a POS printer? I am not planning to use a laser printer (A4 Size) to print the invoice as that would be costly too.
Can anyone suggest how to use a Dot matrix printer to print the docket instead of a POS/Laser printer.

Thanks in Advance...
Chethan

BTW, Sami and team, you guys have created a great product....
poshlittle
Standard

Postby sami » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:18 am

You can use any dot matrix printer to print dockets, the only problem is to keep the paper in the same place, so if you solve this problem then it will work fine.
sami
Site Admin

Re: Using Dot Matrix Printer for printing Dockets

Postby cecom » Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 am

By Dot Matrix printer, do you guys mean a Deskjet?

I want to know if i can use my deskjet color printer to print my labels and barcode.

so that i will only have to buy a small receipt printer and a barcode scanner to complete my POS system.

Am evaluatiing RMAN for my store
cecom
Standard

Postby sami » Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 am

You can use the deskjet printer to print your labels, barcodes, invoices, purchase orders and so on.
Just make sure to get the proper labels for the deskjet as using the wrong labels paper type will smudge on some printers.
If you are going to use rman for quick pos sales, then a receipt printer is highly recommended and will save you money in the long run.
sami
Site Admin

Postby cecom » Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks sami. But if i get the receipt printer, can it print both the reipt, invoice, labels, barcodes, purchase orders and so on.
so that i dont need to have need for any other printer?

Then also for printer of labels, can you explain it for me.
do i buy the paper saprately and from where can i do that.
Hope i can generate my labels from RMAN?
what is the difference between the label and the barcode and how do i print or get the barcode?
once i have printed my labels and printer, what happens next?
cecom
Standard

Postby sami » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Its better to have 2 printers, one for the receipts (if you have many walk in customers) and one for reports and labels.
If you only make small number of sales, then you can use any standard printers to print invoices instead of receipts, a Laser printer would be the way to go as its very cheap to run and can also print your labels.
Labels can contain barcodes as well as the part number, details and price.
The barcode is basically the part number printed as a barcode so your barcode scanner can read in your part number from the barcode thus speeding up sales and eliminating typing errors.
The labels can be bought from most stationary shops and even on-line, you will need to decide on the label size then you can buy labels on A4 or Letter size paper that you can just peal and stick to your stock items.

There are number of companies such as Avery and Jag, as well as many others producing generic lebel sizes and types.

Labels can be printed from few screens in Rman, including Purchase, Invoice and stock list screens.
If you need to print a specific number of labels for some items, then using the invoicing screen, enter the items in question, the qty (you do not have to save) then click on the Print Labels at the bottom of the screen to get the print labels screen up and it will allow you to choose what you want to print, the starting position and the fields you want in.

Make sure to install the barcode font before attempting to print barcodes (see The F1-Help > FAQ section on how to install it), you can also do a practice run on screen and print on normal paper to see if this is what you want.
sami
Site Admin

Return to Retail-Man