Why Can't I Export from RMan

Discussions, hints and tips for users of Retail-Man Point of Sale, from Ezi Solution.

Moderators: sami, graham

Why Can't I Export from RMan

Postby smiley » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:22 pm

I was trying to export Stock list to a txt file but everytime I get error and the resulting stock.txt is empty
I don't even see the item list in the import/export form, where I can flag or unflag items :roll:
smiley
Standard

Postby Jaeger » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 am

Looks like you've spotted a bug smiley. Looks like the Stock Export Module is looking at the Client Database.
I say this because we had problems with the Client import and Sami was working on it a lot recently, could just be a switch needs fixing.

All others with the exception of Stock and Equiv Part numbers are exporting ok for me (I'm on the new beta, but sure this isn't a problem). Just tested 1.60.30 and it's the same.

Just for your info.
When you export or import in RMan you MUST NOT have any spaces in the file name or the path that you are working with.

Good Path i.e. C:\Temp\

Good Filename i.e. stock.txt

Bad Path i.e. C:\My Documents\

Bad Filename i.e. RMan Stock.txt

Once you've exported you can move the file and rename it to what ever and to where ever you want. I'm sure Sami will be along soon with a fix for this.
Jaeger
Standard

Postby sami » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:49 pm

The old version of Retail Man did have a bug in the stock import (not export) but that was fixed in the later version 1.60.30 and above. If you still have a problem with exporting, let me know what is the error message and we'll try to sort it out for you.

By the way Allan, we have recently enabled the long file name in the import / export procedure, so spaces should pose no problem now.
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:56 am

sami wrote:The old version of Retail Man did have a bug in the stock import (not export) but that was fixed in the later version 1.60.30 and above. If you still have a problem with exporting, let me know what is the error message and we'll try to sort it out for you.

By the way Allan, we have recently enabled the long file name in the import / export procedure, so spaces should pose no problem now.

:P Long File Names! Cool.

Sami there is no error Code to tell of.
Just a white grid unpopulated.
I suspected the Client Database because when I pushed Export anyway the text file contained the headers from the client database?

I've tried it on Portable and main machine, both show white-out grid no lines or data.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Jaeger
Standard

Postby sami » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:36 am

Checked that, its working fine on our systems.
It helps if you give me all the steps done when exporting, like mouse and keyboard clicks and on which field. One warning though, if you do have a large stock file (like thousands of records), it may take few seconds for the display to be refreshed, so wait for at least 10 seconds between clicks.
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:44 am

I've been at this for a couple of hours now and have the following.... the Supplier Code is causing the problem my end. Sami I've PM'd smiley and asked him to try it without the supplier code.
Took a number of variations to isolate the little bugger and generate an error code.
the screen captures of the events I'll do my best to explain.

My machine is more than capable of this activity P4 3Gig, twin 190 Gig SATA Hard disks and 1 Gig of Ram.

Begin Export process Select Maintenance>> Import/Export
Screen 01

Select from drop down list the data file to export.
Screen 01a

After selecting Stock >> Press Tab Key to progress.
Screen 02

Select all fields for export.
Screen 03

Press Tab and accept all Default entries.
Screen 04

Again Pressing Tab Key to progress and accepting default entries.
Screens 05

Screens 06

At this point we are now able to press the Export Button. The grid should be populated but isn't.

Here's what happens if you, do as above but after selecting all data fields (they all move to the right hand window) If you now scroll and find the Supplier field and double click it it will return to the left hand window.
Then I double clicked the Supplier field in the left hand window, this is now placed at the bottom of the export list.

Here is the error code generated...
Screen ProgError

Hitting Cancel throws you out of RMan, right out.

So..........
I then did the same as before but tried with and without Supplier field selected.

With Supplier

Without Supplier field.

The last screen if continued through results in an export of the Stock File containing 2395 records.

My Stock file contains Supplier Number entries (I've checked).
I can Export the Supplier records successfully 255 records.

I can't get anything out of the Export Equiv_PNos, tried all variations with/without Supplier, Part Number, Equiv_PNo. Nuffin! Pressing Export (with the grid blank) results in a file containing the Record Headers
"part_no" "upc" "supp_code"

Sorry Graham for all the images, your bandwidth :roll:
Jaeger
Standard

Postby sami » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:55 am

Hi Folks,

This bug is not an error in the program, but due to the wrong file shipped with the package, all what you have to do is download the file www.ezisolution.com/skistock.dbf and copy it on top of the old one.
We will ship the new version with the new file.

Thanks Allan for unmasking the bug, great work. May be we should start a spot the bug competition 8)
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:10 am

:lol:

The export now kinda works but "BUG SPOTTED!"

The Supplier Data is EMPTY! :?
Jaeger
Standard

Return to Retail-Man